Saturday 15 March 2008

Costume Code




Its my 25th birthday in a month-ish. I dont want to discuss turning 25 because I am still living in a world of my own where when someone says to me "I'm 23" I think WOW imagine being THAT OLD. Cos my mental age is 19. And that doesnt need to change, ever, provided I keep up with the sunscreen and my reflection doesnt let me down to soon. Denial.

I want to have a proper party though cos in the past I couldnt be bothered, or thought no one would come, or no one DID come, boohoo, or something. And it is 25, which is a pretty cool number (not as cool as 19 but I'm down with that).

So, my first thought was that I wanted makeup involving stars and glitter, possibly over one eye a la Kate Moss on HER last bday, and at the least outrageous and FUN. I then needed a dress code to go with. After deliberating for weeks and weeks, I havent come to any major decisions about it, and I realised this morning why.

People just dont conform to dress codes or costume partys.

Some do, sure, and some do it REALLY AWESOMELY, but I am imagining my guest list and realising that if I make the dress code too outrageous, half of them will come in jeans and a nice top- one of my top fashion peeves- or wont come at all. Worst, the ones who come in jeans will wear some outre earrings, or a flower in their hair, or some other hideous accessory so they can claim to have tried. Its Charlotte in SATC at the bondage bar- "I kinked my hair!?"

Why is this so? Why dont people wear costumes, or dress the way the invitation states? Smart Casual are two words I would happily never hear again, because its just another way of letting people off the hook. Dont worry, just wear something inoffensive and we can all drink UDL's and chat about how X's ugly husband has a new job at Telstra, or something equally banal. Smart Casual should be banned. In its place should be "Dress happy" or "Wear something a little dressier than normal, but that makes you look FABULOUS". This has been lamented a lot, so I wont go into it too much, but people dont dress up anymore (the Brownlow doesnt count). It's safer to go more casual than more dressy. Its easier too. Fair enough, but we cant be boring forever (and we're at 25 already!- if we cant dress up now, when on earth can we?)

Maybe its asking too much to get them to wear a nice cocktail dress and heels to a party, rather than their work black pants and a patterned shirt. But I want people to have fun at my birthday and I want them to LOOK fun, too. I dont want denim, or shirts, or anything sheer over a singlet. What is the secret words to make them get over their fears of looking overdressed, or silly, to make them come out with me and be crazy and outrageous?

My current dress code is "wear something you have never dared wear before". This is good, but its not clear enough. What I really mean is "you know that dream outfit where you look unbelievable and amazing but you've never had the opportunity to wear and you've tried it on many times and never had the balls to leave the house, or even let your boyfriend/housemate/mum see you in it? WEAR THAT."

A little wordy.

Prior to this I was thinking costume party. A kind of 70's glamour, think Yves Saint Laurent and Betty Catroux in their heyday, Ziggy Stardust, Studio 54, etc with a bucket of glitter thrown over and you are there. But its the same problem. And nothing kills a party more than 2 people dressed to the nines, and 20 people wearing shimmer on their cheekbones ("I am in costume! I have glitter on my cheeks!").

What am I gonna do? I'm going to write and rewrite that dress code til it sounds ok and gets the message across. Then I'm going to write under it "OUTFITS MANDATORY, AND DONT THINK YOU CAN PIKE AT THE LAST MINUTE." I'll try and get my friends to see Agyness Deyns point of view, and she should know, she has out-dressed Miss Moss to become Tatlers Best Dressed, as she says "I know we're best dressed when we get into a taxi and the driver asks, "You going to a costume party?" and we say, "No, we're just going to the pub.""

1 comment:

emsydo said...

AGREED. we need to dress up more often.
put some kind of thought and love into our outfit. but i think it is the aussie mentality to dress casually and 'comfortably'..not that dressing up the slightest bit would be uncomfortable but..you get wat i meen right?

i'm so glad i've found a fellow melbourne blogger..it has taken me a while.