Wednesday 25 June 2008

love....


Do you find clothes or do they find you?

As mentioned, I've been searching for a coat for winter (which is already upon me). I thought I knew what I wanted, I thought I found it, and when it came to the crunch I could not do it. I couldnt pay for it, I couldnt take it, I couldnt go through with it. Searching for all that time, finding what I thought I wanted, and realising that I just didnt love it enough. The problem was that I could leave it behind.

I want more out of my purchases than that. I want to be scared to leave the shop in case someone else with more readily available funds swoops in straight after me. I have to run back to places after worriedly trying to make up my mind and then deciding I cant live without it. I want to LOVE things so much I HAVE to have them.

And so it goes that when you stop looking, you find beautiful perfect things! Like a lovely ivory coat half price and an awesome biker clutch bag also on sale. A black sequin cardigan and a hoodie covered in gold stars!

I believe that aside from the basics (including skivvies in good colours, any idea where they live?) you come across clothes by accident and thats the best way to buy. You can still avoid the impulse purchase, and sometimes you may not really NEED the awesome items, but they are the most fun, and the most likely to be worn.

And this brings me to my next point, which is slightly contradicting, BUT. Do you have a wardrobe half full of things you never wear? A maxi dress in an insane print that you cant wear cos its just a gaudy tent? A fifties frock that is gorgeous but you cant move your arms in it?

If you're anything like me you'll spend time staring at all this stuff, not quite game enough to try it on cos its slightly depressing, but wishing you had occasion (read balls) to wear them.

This is the tough question: If you cut the length off, the sleeves off or adjust the waistband, will it ruin the item or make it wearable?

If its a vintage couture special one-off item then maybe dont muck with it too much, but if you bought it at Retrostar and have never worn it GET YOUR SCISSORS. Why not? You'll never feel comfortable in it otherwise, and if you go carefully and slowly it might become your new favourite outfit. Best part is, its FREE!

If it makes you feel dowdy, try adjusting the hem to a length that suits you.

If its a little tight across the bust/arms, take the sleeves off.

See if you can take out darts to make things looser, or put them in to give more shape.

Put press studs in rows of buttons that gape open.

Use cut offs to make belts, or bags, or headbands.

Try stuff- see if you can pin it in place first to suss the viability of your plan, but dont be afraid to do it! I have officially 3 new dresses in the last few days when I was always too afraid to adjust them. I've worn two of them already.

No comments: