Tuesday 25 August 2009

how do we feel about...

hiring a personal stylist?

After my sulk 2 posts ago, my mother (who knew nothing about this) emailed me today and asked if I would like to go to this personal stylist man with her. First appointment is a "personal assessment" then next appointments include assessing the wardrobe you already have and culling, before going shopping together and being told what to buy. Or maybe I am being too sceptical.

My reservations are thus:

  • I dont know this person- what if I completely hate their personal style? How can I trust them?
  • What of their fashion credentials? What if I know more about fashion than them? (this may be unlikely, but possible!)
  • I feel like I know what they will say to me, and I dont want to pay $300 to be told I have a small waist, therefore should wear full a-line skirts with pretty cardigans in a lovely 50s style. If I wanted to wear those type of things, I would wear them already. And sometimes I do, but I dont need someone else to tell me that.
  • What sort of stores will they take me to? They better be good. And by good I mean somewhere I've never been before, with incredible clothes, at good prices (doesnt have to be cheap, just worthy).
  • I want them to understand me when I say pretentious things to them about the style I want. And to be intimately knowledgeable about people like Emmanuelle Alt and Scott Schuman.
Am I asking too much? Does anyone have experience with these people? Do they know what they're doing? In a Grace Coddington way, not a Sportsgirl way?

Please report back,

2 comments:

maudrey said...

wow wow wow!
this could be very interesting. I think if you do it and they are worse than you then that's good cos you know you are on your own right track AND if you do and they are awesome then you get some help and find some new ideas and places to shop! win win situation really- only downside is that if they know less than you then you paid them for diddly squat :S

Have you read colour me beautiful? HAHAHA I know it sounds terrible and 80's BUT they have this section of what kind of style of dresser are you- dramatic/sporty/romantic/classic etc and of course most ppl would be a mix of things but when I read it it made me think more about which road I usually do go down to dress etc. The other part about colour is true too I think, that there are colours that will really really suit a person. I love dressing inside these colours but also rebelling and wearing something I really love just cos its an amazing piece of clothing.
I am looking fwd to employment and a wardrobe purge to lessen the sheer volume of clothes I have, and then add a few awesome things that I love.

hopefully this stylist guy will use the internet too cos some of the best buys would be there- he may know tricks about sizing etc?? Like he could measure you and give you a chart of what your top and bottom and shoe size is in every country? that's how I would start...

Unknown said...

So did you end up seeing this guy?

I need the end of this story.

Was it worth while? Did he know more about fashion than you? Did he take you to new and exciting places?