Monday 3 December 2007

Dress by numbers

I am kind of disgruntled today. Mainly because the newspapers are doing their job - reporting.
Last thursday the Melbourne magazine in the Age came out and it has only succeeded in annoying me.
It annoyed me because it featured the northern suburbs (where I live) and was saying all the best spots that I feel like I have carefully found and been enjoying. Now there will be a massive influx of hideous chapel street style garbage bins into these nice nooks that are full of individual well dressed pleasant ppl. Then they will wear the same clothes as these ppl and say they "have been coming here forever".
This was the same feeling I had after reading Maggie Alderson's column in the Good Weekend a few weeks ago. She was extoling Facehunter and the Sartorialist for their amazing streetstyle. That is great I agree 100%. The problem, however, was that she was interested in finding exactly what they were wearing. I think that street style is something to be looked at and appreciated as an idea and also a great expression of individuality. Sourcing where they are from totally loses this expression and creates more clones- boring! Its great that street style can influence trends but its not dress by numbers like magazines.

I am so over newpapers and magazines totally telling everyone about everything- music/clothes/hangouts and then the clones coming and swallowing it whole and then all of us having to find fun new stuff which will in turn continue this cycle. Only accept a new trend if it fits in with your own personal style. Its great seeing new things and going to new places but its the over consuming of it that I hate.

No comments: