Tuesday 27 May 2008

Style Transformation

Massive lack of posting lately is due to a) new job overload, b) death of laptop and c) because of a and b, complete lack of things to write about.

I have experienced a period of Not Wanting to Buy Anything. This was great cos I wore more of the clothes i already own, had money left over each week before my next pay, and didnt waste my time slogging round the shops moaning about how theres nothing to buy. (well, i did moan about that a little bit, i'll be honest)

But now I've come out the other side into a new phase- Reinventing My Look. New job, new look, and I have already worn more interesting, exciting and "me" things in 4 weeks at the new job than I had in 4.5 years at the old job. And i may be getting a bit up-myself here, but i feel these days more like I dont care what anyone else thinks, and that me feeling disappointed at the end of the day that I didnt wear the dressier option and instead wore jeans is more important than worrying if anyone is talking about me. Big. Deal.

Problem now is, where do I go from here? I have enlisted a stack of magazines, 2 quality fashiony friends, and sex and the city to help me out. (PS cant WAIT for the movie and it had better inspire me hardcore, I tell you what!)

heres what I have so far:

I love this ad so, so much.... the headband, the pearls, the eyeliner, its so cool.


This is a detail of a full outfit from the sartorialist, but for me this tiny section is enough. the black tights, the gold band on the dress, its so relaxed and yet fabulous...

This I like for the chic simplicity (also from sartorialist- see our links list). And I think i want a blanket-scarf- so warm!
This combination of her gorgeous hair (this is from Facehunter- see links) and her Chanel-esque dress, the black and white, the pretty flowers, its simple but fierce and lovely.

And finally, Emmanuelle Alt (both these are from sartorialist). Cool, this woman is just cool. Very rock, very french vogue, very right, all the time. If I could transplant those exact 2 outfits I would be happy.....

Where to from here? I think these pictures suggest i am moving into a harder style, as opposed to comfy jeans and tshirts, etc, but also a more refined style. I am not one for boho, or 70s (except 70s jeans) or hippie styles, they just make me look frumpy, silly, and a bit podgy. I am also not one for flowy, frilly, overly girly styles. After watching Trinny and Susannah and studying their books at borders lol, I come to the conclusion I am either a Skittle or an Hourglass. Leaning more towards Hourglass cos I have pretty broad shoulders. Maudrey and I agreed that while T & S's rules on dressing for your shape are definitely something to keep in mind (ie, skivvies really DO look ridiculously bad on me precisely because of said broad shoulders, large bosom and relatively short neck) it is possible to dress for your shape, while still following your own trends and always trying things that may NOT work just in case you have struck upon a miraculous cut of something and in fact you look amazing. Therefore, I am going to have a scrapbook-brainstorm now and write some lists of Things I Like, Dont Like, Look Good In, Look Silly In, Hate, and Love.

And tomorrow I will pop up to Mecca for some red lip gloss. This is going to help the transformation, I can just tell.

If any dear readers can see some trends emerging from the pictures i put up, or any glaringly obvious items I should own, please speak up! I often cant see the wood for the trees.
xx

1 comment:

EvaAmarri said...

hey great blog. would u like to link?