Sunday 20 July 2008

Not it anymore....


Have "it" bags died? Not THAT long ago I pined for a Dior Gaucho bag (above) and then a Mulberry Elgin, but now its all disappeared..... There used to be so many! They all had names and they were all fabulous, but where have they gone?

I think the fact that there were so many and always new ones or new colours or new fabrics, it was impossible for normal (meaning non-massively-rich) people to either keep up or buy the Right One. And unless you were lucky enough to really LOVE one, how could you choose?

But these days it seems to have all just faded away.... you can still buy a lot of the bags in new colours etc, but no one talks about them anymore. Is it fashion death to be seen with an old It Bag? Or have we just moved on?

I personally dont want my bag to have any form of signage on it. I dont want anyone to know where I got it, what brand it is, how old it is, etc. I just want to carry it and love it and have it go with what I want. I couldnt carry a Gaucho, what would people think? SHE'S carrying a DIOR bag. It Bags seem to define you and your outfit, without you really getting a say. They are carrying you, really. I dont want people to judge me on my bag. My outfit, yes, but my bag cant speak for all of us! It has to fit in, go with the other choices of dress, shoe, hairstyle.

Maybe its too difficult to carry an It bag these days. Plus theres the fakes.... so many fakes. I dont have anything against fakes, but its gotten to the point where every "designer" bag you see is subject to great scrutiny- is it fake? she doesnt look like it would be REAL etc, and all of a sudden the gorgeous bag doesnt look so good- it might be FAKE. I do own a few fakes, but they pretty much never see daylight for fear someone will know better and point and giggle at me from across the street, before striding off with their original vintage Chanel 2.55....... I am not made to be carried by an It Bag, or vice versa.

Exceptions to this rule obviously include serious heavyweight bags like the above mentioned Chanel or a Birkin...... you can clearly tell the fakes, which I think means a lot to the real ones, and they are timeless and quite versatile, although I suppose if you took your Birkin to Coles on sunday morning you would still scream "I'm dressed casually but I am STYLISH, JUST LOOK AT THIS BAG"...... fashion is so fickle! A year ago I would have loved to have had that look at the supermarket.... but time has moved on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too had noticed the death of the IT bag and was pleased. I could never carry one because I refuse to carry a bag with more personality and better heredity than myself.