Monday 29 December 2008

2008.....

2008 is almost over and I am glad of it. It seems this year that things have just happened- happened without me doing anything or attempting anything, just happened to me. The only thing I instigated this year was getting a new job. Which was awesome, until my contract expired and wasnt renewed.... but now I have another new job, which will hopefully prove to be much better.

I didnt blog as much as I wanted to, partially because I was too busy trying to make life normal, but mainly cos everytime I sat down to write I had nothing to say. I stopped buying stuff, to save money and also because the accumulation of stuff had become pretty depressing. Instead of buying things to feel better, I just tried something else. Something else turned out to be reading Apartment Therapy and GoFugYourself, which apart from making me desperately want to go to Ikea was free.

Four significant people in my life have moved away, the shortest distance being Hamilton. One other went to Sydney, the other 2 are overseas. Its funny cos those four people were my main people to go in a crisis. As in, "I dont know what to do now, I dont want to go on, I need help". All gone! I wonder if perhaps the universe is giving me a sign to grow up, or if its just been the year for it.

This month is the first month since 2001 that i havent bought Australian Vogue. Not last month but the one before was the first year since 2003 that I havent bought Harpers Bazaar. I havent missed either. I'm not even worried that the next one will come out and I will have a forever imperfect collection. Instead all I want to read is Elle Decoration - a direct influence from Apartment Therapy.

I've culled my wardrobe down to one ikea kids cupboard and one clothing rail. I have culled my house down to essentials and things I absolutely love. And books. I have grown my hair longer than its ever been before. I got a scary looking mole removed cos I couldnt stand another summer of seeing those awful skin cancer ads at tram stops making me feel scared, and after all the drama (and valium) for a 15 minute proceedure it was all ok.

I havent kept any of my resolutions. I cant even remember what they are. I'm not going to make ones for 2009, cos I cant be bothered to inflict the guilt on myself. Whats the point?

One good thing- I finally picked up the sewing machine i've had on layby for months. Tomorrow I'll set it up and start to teach myself how to use it. Then I'll alter/repair all the stuff I cant wear at the moment cos its ripped/too long/needs taking in/or out and voila! Almost new selection of clothes.

Next year I am going to do things cos I want to, not because I have to, or because its for someone else, or because I think it will be the right thing. I'm going to get some balls and just go for it. I'm going to look after my body better and give it the right stuff- enough vitamins, fruit, vegies and proper things. A year of clenching my jaw and losing hair from stress is making me want to treat it right. I'm gonna wear unapologetic clothes, cos who cares?

I leave you with my inspiration. Happy New Year.



pics are from the sartorialist

1 comment:

... said...

Ok I see
2009 has a chance to be coooler for you !

Ftm