Wednesday 27 June 2007

ponderings on style

photo from go fug yourself

So some stuff today has happened to make me have a think about style- real, actual, personal style.

My friend mentioned to me that she is sick of seeing 14 year olds in babydoll/pinafore/shift dresses around Melbourne. I totally agree although it does make a change from freakin leggings as pants. These girls (this is not confined to 14 year olds but really covering ages 12-40, i think) are not stylish, they are not setting trends, expressing their personality or showing any real artistic or intelligent talent or insight, they are simply following their friends, Sportsgirl, or worse, Portmans.

Then I saw the pic above, also from Go Fug (please go there for a better photo credit) and it made me think, in this order:

"wow, that chick (on the right) has an AWESOME dress on!" "(maybe i should buy that vintage one from retrostar)"

"that girl on the left looks really quite wierd and possibly hungover or something- interesting outfit, shame about the expression"

"girl in the middle looks way to sure of herself for someone who is wearing a Jennifer Lopez dress and looks about 12"

Then I read the Go Fug bit about it and they didnt like the cool girls outfit..... I just think she is wearing something awesome and looks good- yet isnt pandering to any so called "trends" or "looks". She looks individual, interesting, and like she would be awesome to shop with.

Then, I read this on Go Fug Youself about Gwen Stefani; "it's hard not to give it up for someone who clearly is really creative about what she wears, even if what she wears is totally nutola."

Bring on more REAL style, expressions of personality, efforts at looking yourself AND looking amazing, I say. Real style is not dictated by Portmans, or Supre, or Myer. They are fun to shop at sometimes, but they do not make the rules!!

5 comments:

Weekly Blogette said...

You are soooo right. (talking about your last paragraph).

Monika said...

Hey there! I’m really glad that I found your blog, it’s amazing! i really enjoy reading your posts! Can we link each other? can you post an answer into my blog „everyday glamour“?
ChiliLady from Austria
ps: i like kate moss too

glam-o-holic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
glam-o-holic said...

To quote a wiseman, "If everybody looked the same, we'd get tired of looking at each other." Actually those aren't words from a wiseman, they're words from Groove Armada. I agree. Tired of the pinafore thing. Originality please, people.

Susana Rodrigues said...

great blog :)
luv
su