Wednesday 5 September 2007

Fashion Week So Far

Ok. I have just spent 20 minutes (yes its a long time, but I'm uploading photos onto facebook so my mac is running a bit slow) writing a post to get you to spot the difference between GPO Spring Glamour Shopping Affair on Monday night and backstage at the Town Hall yesteday preparing for the shows last night, but then I realised it was too easy. It was good, too, shame really.

Instead I am going to write about my Monday Night/Tuesday Day, and you can comment on the differences yourselves.

The GPO thing was not exactly what I was expecting. I'd had a less than perfect day leading up to it so I wasn't really in the mood but a good dinner set me right, and then we arrived. It was packed full of people, like so full you could hardly move, and not all of the shops were open, like Belinda, which I really wanted to go into, the people in charge were looking important and down their noses, while not having the outfits on to pull that off (in my opinion) at a fashion week gig, while the guests, sorry "VIPS" looked kinda scared/intimidated, bored, and like they had worn something "nice". Which is all fine, people can wear whatever they like, etc etc, but I wanted MORE. My first fashion week function and I expected to be blown away by the sheer amount of people I wanted to photograph to put up here on the blog, for you all to see. Instead, there was not that many, and only one I can remember 2 days later. Did anyone else go? What did you think? The hair models looked like friends of the organisers with fake tans. I didn't see the normal models although maudrey reported they looked "pretty".


At any rate, this was not what I was expecting of fashion week. I moped on the way home. Then I got up the next day, dressed in black, and went to the Town Hall to pack showbags.

What a difference! The first person I met was wearing vintage Pierre Cardin, the second was wearing a white frilly shirt, a cream short sleeved kinda bondage-y jacket,and black cons. Jan Logan walked past me and smiled. Models arrived, looking happy and COOOOOOOOL. Like relaxed, comfy, super-gorgeous layered cool. Everyone was nice. EVERYONE. The other volunteers were fun. We worked way hard, and our reward was getting to put bags on seats as the male models did their run-throughs on the catwalk. And the odd Frankie magazine that was left over. If you are going to any shows, you can look forward to some Kevin Murphy hair stuff, some Napoleon primer, some other skin stuff, and a bucketload of pamphlets. (If you are front row you get stockings, too).

Its basically exactly what you hope fashion shows/weeks are all about. Racks of clothes, gorgeous people, loads of fun and hard work. I am now trying to get tickets to whatevers left....

I'm back volunteering this afternoon/night, and I might go to the afterparty. Which is at the GPO. I dont know, maybe it will be different this time?! The bars are gorgeous. So is the building, I guess. I'll just take my friends and ignore all the snobs!

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Whaaaaaaa!!! I want to go to a fabulous fashion show event! Lucky you!!

Although I must admit, from my perspective, I'd be very distracted by the male models... LOL.

Anonymous said...

Wait...Frankie Magazines that were "left over"..?..that must have been the other Zoe hiding copies under the packing table then covertly shoving them into her bag! Just like it totally wasnt me stuffing handfuls of Napolean P samples into my pockets!
Alice x