Monday 3 September 2007

Shiny Women and Farmy Men

I'm sure you've seen this around.... its an Issey Miyake bustier currently on show at NGV, in their "Super Bodies" exhibition, a small but fierce fashion exhibition in the Myer Gallery.
I love this. I also love most of the other outfits they have there, although they are VERY suit-y, which gets a bit....meh. However I picked up a quote from Thierry Mugler (whose suits make up about 80% of the exhibit):

"..(The Mugler)... Woman is a conqueror, who controls her look and her life. She is free, self-confident and she's having fun!"

I think that quote is perfect. I am becoming increasingly more feminist and I wish women everywhere could or would be free, self-confident, in control of herself and having fun! And to think its a quote from 20-odd years ago. You should see this exhibition- its tres cool. Heres the other quote I liked, from the website http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/superbodies/

"She’s a fighter who likes seducing and arousing, a dynamic that never causes her to lose sight of her goal. Clothes for her are at once the armour protecting her integrity and the challenge which forces her to surpass herself. She looks like a superwoman: leather, furs, cottons, shiny fabrics, skin tight dress, and trousers – all obligatory. Her colours: contrasting, dazzling, bright, violent."

Elle, 1985



Around Melbourne recently I have noticed this intriguing trend among businessmen (so far no women). Suit, in any and every form, covered up in the rain by a drizabone. Not a trendy raincoat, or a "citified" drizabone, but a real, oily, muddy-looking, aged, 3/4 or full length Drizabone. I've worn a lot of drizabones in my day being a pony clubber from way back, but I have never seen one in Melbourne before, least of all on a polished man in peak hour PT travel!

Its a good look. They look like established farmers from ginormous stations in the middle of nowhere who have buckets of money and wear Ralph Lauren around the farm cos its so well made, and then pop on their thousands-of-dollars suits to go into the city to see their accountant, when they realise- its raining, better cover up. Ahh! My drizabone. Perfect.


1 comment:

Joyce said...

it is a pretty odd bustier