Thursday 22 November 2007

Unique In Melbourne

Streetstyle gives me so many different emotions. Sometimes I become obsessive about it, desperately wishing I didnt have so many plain tshirts but instead had dozens of interesting, patterned, "tops". Other times it depresses me for exactly the same reason- nothing in my wardrobe ever comes close to being a candidate for streetstyle. Usually what happens is I end up going through my wardrobe hoping to find something that I've forgotten about that is suddenly MAGIC and PERFECT and looks fabulous with jeans, as well as taking about 5 kilos off and looking effortless.

Maggie Alderson wrote about streetstyle in the Good Weekend a few weeks ago- and Maud has a LOT of opinions on this subject so I wont go into it too much, except that I too was disappointed that all she wanted to know was where the subjects get their clothes from, presumably so she can go get one of her own. I dont understand she is on about here. The whole point of streetstyle (particularly in Europe, I find) is that these are people who wear unique, personal items that- as they will often tell you- they get second hand or free. Good luck finding that, Maggie. And at the other end of the scale, a lot of the subjects of The Sartorialist, for example, are wearing serious designer pieces. I think this is because a lot of them are fashion magazine or store people, and fashion is their job. The annoying thing about this is, they all look amazing, and for a lot of us (including me!) this kind of amazing is completely unattainable.

This is why the first option is so good- cheap, original and personal. And telling millions of website viewers where you get your special junk from would spell death. No one wants someone else copying them, that is the domain of school girls and Dotti. Instead I think its much more interesting (and safe for these gorgeous stylistes) is what look they are into, what aesthetic they relate to, and what labels or designers they admire. Hearing that someone likes Martin Grant, divine tailoring, and 20s deco styling is painting such a lovely picture- and if you like their style you can find your own way to dress it. Hearing that their shoes are from Diesel, their skirt is from Myer and their scarf is Burberry is really quite boring.

Not for the first time there is going to be some attempts made at some of our very own Love In Melbourne Street Style. Hopefully this time it will actually happen- my last effort at this was a complete failure and I didnt see a single look I liked. So dress up and come out and maybe we will meet- and then we can chat about how you put your outfit together- what fun.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

YAY!! I cant wait!!

EvaAmarri said...

Hey just stumbled across ur blog. Maybe u can stumble across mine http://fashionivy.blogspot.com