Friday 11 January 2008

A Venture into Hatting

Hats have been occupying my thoughts for some time now. I've had a mild obsession with them (mainly vintage 20's ones) and hatboxes (mild in the form that I dont own any hatboxes, per se, but I WOULD own MANY if only I could find some that weren't ugly, or overpriced, but anyway...) and in fact I own many hats. I have a giant mimco black one that shades not only my head but also my shoulders and those of whoever is standing beside me; a vintage silk tie-on visor that is lovely but I cannot wear it for fear of ruining the fabric, or looking silly; a black and white spotty one that I wear while swimming in the ocean or pool; a turquoise velvet 20's cloche that I have never worn; and a pink poker visor that I thought would be good for everyday wear until the ebay seller posted it to me and I realised it had no sun protection value whatsoever, and really was intended solely for playing poker.

So, in light of recent resolutions and also my fear of premature ageing, I have come to the drawn-out conclusion that I need to be someone who wears hats. On a regular basis. It seems to be something that has been fashionably avoided for years and years, but I reckon it's making a comeback. The question now is, what style of hat is casual enough, yet not-baseball-cap enough, to wear down the street for a spot of shopping? I instantly rule out caps, legionnaires, and giant brimmed hats as too Grand Prix Grid Girl, too lame, and too difficult respectively. I think the perfect hat could be something with a fabric top that you can tie, thus avoiding too-tight-hat-hair and also looking a fair bit glamourous. Or a visor without a top at all, although you run the risk of your hair pushing out the top which looks a bit funny. Mimco make a visor that rolls up so you can carry it in your bag when you enter somewhere shady or airconditioned, but if you all rush out and buy one before I get there you are all DUMPED. Its a great hat though. Wide brimmed but not too wide, in black (lovely) and only about 40 sequins!

Failing that there is always the Kate Moss style (or Irina style, or Kirsten Dunst style) trilby hat which I love the look of but doesnt seem to provide much shade.... these revoltingly hot city days make me want a hat that will actually stop my face from feeling like its charring off as soon as I step outside, and hopefully protect some shoulder and decolletage at the same time. I am going to do a small late-night-shop tonight (see you at Mimco!) when hopefully it will be a little cooler/raining heavily and see what I can find.

2 comments:

EvaAmarri said...

Hey you have a great blog. Would u like to link?

Anonymous said...

oh!
there is a man (60years old or so) who works on collins street & every morning I see him with a classic hat & beautiful suit.
He is much more stylish than others.

All because of tradition!