Wednesday 30 January 2008

Tram Tales

On the tram on my way to work today I saw a man, reasonably elderly (like, 65?) wearing the standard beige slacks and matching beige collarless jacket. Where it got interesting was that he had paired this charming neutral ensemble with a lovely pair of cream and blue snakeskin lace up shoes... and a hot pink belt. The belt was special as you could only see it when he moved and the jacket lifted up. And it got me thinking- does he secretly love pink? Is it a kind of gay symbol? Is it just the only one he owns, and he bought it cos it was cheap? Or (and this is what I'm hoping) is it deliberate, and deliberately clashing with those ridiculous shoes? Is he wearing this as a style statement?

I love people watching. Particularly when I can invent a story about these people. I wonder every day what motivates people to choose their outfits. I believe there are people out there who are completely unaware of fashion and choose clothes purely on function and purpose. Its chilly, I'll wear my polarfleece zip up cardi on my way to work. I have to walk, I'll wear socks and sneakers over my stockings. But what about people who go to effort, yet still pretend they dont care about fashion?

Like the women who glare at you on the tram and huff around like they are far too busy and important to be interested in flimsy silly things like high heels, and they wear solid comfortable shoes they can get their orthotics into, but they have a sheer burgundy top on with some diamantes and a flower brooch? Were they just after a bit of prettiness, to soften them? Or did they think "work today, I'll wear that nice red top". Whats the thought process?

My other favourite conundrum is the incredibly overdone young woman. She's got hair so blonde it looks like it will snap clean off in chunks, she has a headband, big earrings, a necklace, a low cut singlet, a mini vest, a belt, an armful of bangles, extremely tight jeans, boots over the top, and soooo much makeup they look kinda like they found some clay on the way to work and rubbed it into their skin. And then they have more mascara than you own at home on, with pale pale pink barbie lips. Are they 100% on with fashion? Are they revered and adored by their friends? What on earth do they wear to go out?

About half the time I see myself in a window somewhere and wonder why on earth I thought my outfit was a good idea, usually because I havent tried hard enough or chose the safer option. But after years of doing this I am finally starting to learn to get a bit wilder. This includes high heels and makeup.... ok I havent actually worn high heels out during the day just to shop but I am working up to it!

I am hoping that when (and it is when, not if!) I get a new job this will coincide with a change in wardrobal direction. I am thinking heels for work, perhaps even eye makeup to work, much much more fashion risks, and a lot more extravagance. I want the clothes I wear to express how I feel. And I dont want people to see me as a safe, moderately stylish/classic dresser. I want them to think I am fashionable! And always look great! (This may be aiming to high).

The thing that made me decide this is in the new Harpers Bazaar they have an article on "cool girls" which says that while Chloe Sevigny makes the best dressed lists often these days, she spent 5 years experimenting, creating her own style, and often ending up on the worst dressed lists, until she got it right for her, and people started admiring her style rather than freaking out about it. I think I've got five years to stuff around while I suss out mine.



2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I think that you only live once and that youth is flying by at the speed of light so screw everyone else andgo crazy. Try the stuff you love. Love the stuff you love and don't question it. High heels are the best!!

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Nowadays, I feel good, I begin to get real income.
It's all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]