Monday 11 August 2008

Spring?


This is my new baby..... Isnt she sleek and shiny? She totally fits with my latest aesthetic which is simplicity. Everywhere I look there seems to be people talking about simplicity, paring things back, keeping it simple. Almost minimalist.

Its interesting cos I feel like its one kind of style that suits me. I look uncomfortable in layered, boho hippie type outfits, overdone and silly in overly girly outfits and sort of bogan and squishy in Sporting type outifts. In high school and for a few years after I had extremely thick, curly hair, which has now calmed down to a still thick but more of a straight wave. But my hair for years stopped me from wearing frills (too much), florals (way too feminine), red (way too vampy) and any form of flowers in my hair (wayyyyy too Penelope Cruz). Now I could wear almost all of them (I would still avoid the red, though) but I am favouring sleeker things. Prints still feature heavily in my dream wardrobe, but they are paired with very little else, mainly just black tights and solid shoes. I want to wear one dress, not a dress over a top with a cardigan, 30 bangles a necklace and statement shoes. I want to wear a black tshirt with an amazing skirt and thongs. Or jeans and a striped top, with messy hair. Easy. Am I recovering from a hair episode that didnt sit right, or am I finding my own personal style? Either way, I like where this is going. It will make the "Should I Try This On?" debate much less frequent. And realistically, I know what suits me, I just get distracted by what looks good on other people.

The other thing holding me back right now though is the weather. I could easily wear jeans and a striped top (and ofter do) but not many people see this as they are almost entirely covered by a jumper, a coat, a scarf, and usually gloves and/or beanie. Bring on spring!

No comments: